Guest madabouthuntin Posted September 3, 2008 Report Share Posted September 3, 2008 Hutchies..... I never took it as you were trying to start an arguement either. We all have different takes on just about everything we deal with and we are just voicing them a little. I do agree that everyone should test there broadheads in their bows before they take it out to the woods for hunting. That is just being ethical in my opionion. I have seen people shoot 3 different broadheads made by the same company and have one hit like the field point and the other two go in different directions. To me that is just inconsistant manufacturing of the broadhead. I may be wrong, but how else would someone explain it (that is as long as the person shooting it is consistant and the bow is tuned properly)? You did make a good point about moving the site to match the broadhead at 20 yards, but may be much further off at the longer yardage. A very easy thing to over look. LifeNRA.... Good luck. I hope things continue to shoot straight for ya! Steve Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hutchies Posted September 3, 2008 Report Share Posted September 3, 2008 Thanks just wanted to pass along some info to help guys out. If one person gets their heads to fly well out of this thread then I've accomplished what I hoped for. On a side note..........My buddy Oklabow shoots G5 Tekan II's.........Last night he threw on some Muzzy's to try and he hit 3 inches low. He's coming over this weekend so we can get him lined out to shoot either. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Doc Posted September 8, 2008 Report Share Posted September 8, 2008 Getting broadheads to impact in the same place as field tips has always been a challenge for me. In fact, I will guarantee that no matter what bow I pick up, and no matter what broadhead I use, it will always shoot to the left of the same setup using fieldtips. It seems to me that the only reason a broadhead would take off on its own path would be a result of air planing against the flat surfaces of the broadhead. However here is the confusion I have over the whole thing. If a head is causing planing, you might think it is because of mis-alignment of the blades with the shaft. Either a problem with manufacturing quality, or a tipped insert in the arrow causing the centerline of the head to not be coaxial with the centerline of the shaft. That all makes sense. But here's where it gets real confusing. Like most archers, I purposely attach my fletching to the shaft in a helical fashion to impart a spin to the arrow. One would think that all this spinning would confuse any planing such that a misaligned broadhead would never group with another one. And yet, they do take up a specific location that is somewhat consistant but very much different from field tips. That all doesn't make a lot of sense. I would think that misaligned broadhead surfaces in combination with the spinning of the arrow would cause the impact points to be randomly all over the target. So it seems that most likely, something else is at work here besides misalignment that makes an arrow tipped with a broadhead act like the spine has been changed. What the heck that would be is a mystery to me. Doc Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LifeNRA Posted September 8, 2008 Author Report Share Posted September 8, 2008 I believe that using the G5 A.S.D. tool helps with this. This tool allows you to square the shaft before gluing the insert into the shaft. Also after the insert in glued in the shaft. This alone will help make the broad head spin true with the shaft. I also square the nock end as well. Getting the broad head to be wobble free got to help with any kind of planning. As far as aligning the fletch with the broad head, I don't bother. For me it doesn't make any difference. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=pod&id=0026140 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hutchies Posted September 8, 2008 Report Share Posted September 8, 2008 Yep the ASD is a great tool but if the centershot or the nock point isn't set perfectly it will still plane right/ left/ up/ down.............It's just the effect that the air has on the head. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.