joeaveragehunter

Members
  • Posts

    616
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by joeaveragehunter

  1. start training for it now. If you can run ten miles at home, you will sprint 100 yards to get a shot and throw up . Seriously: 1-call the CO DNR get the name of a biologist and call him repeatedly til he answers... ask tons of questions.(Find out when they bugle and plan for that time) 2- Start training four months in advance and be in twice as good shape as you think you need to be. After week 1, the harder and higher the elk are to reach. 3-practice shooting at eighty yards so a fifty yard seems like a chip shot. 4-Gear... 90% of the time I got my bow, two granola bars, and two water bottles. I dress the lightest possible. Each ounce weighs a pound when you are going straight up 9,000 ft. Be prepared for eighty degrees one day and 35 with rain and snow the next. 5-One week is not enough. Shoot for two weeks, but you can only do what you can do. If you have lmited time, walk as much ground as possible the first few days (get to the top and check the whole area out). 6-Watch your calling. Have seen entire herds bolt the opposite way of a hunter and his bugle or hoochie mama (the worst!). Good luck, there is nothing better than matching yourself up to the mountain.
  2. The pic is a little small to see anything. I couldnt enlarge it at all.
  3. I am finalizing my order for bare root apple trees and honeysuckle cuttings for next spring. I try to do a little something every year in addition to the food plots. I think I am going for ten 6' bare root apple trees and 100 honeysuckles. Should be about $200 (not including the fencing and stakes). Are there things that you guys do every year to try to improve your hunting land? TSI? Trail cutting? Plantings? Burning?
  4. For ten years, I have been nay saying and passing judgement. I never showed emotion and didn't care about a single game (except against the packers). I wasn't a fan of the coaches or the players...flashback 1998 gary anderson 100% on field goals for the season, watches the snap...good hold...the kick is up....NOOOOOOOO! I don't know how, but the Vikings have captured my heart again... dang you brett. If only for rubbing it in my relatives faces (cheeseheads), I feel compelled to start the super bowl or bust wagon... so hop on or get outa the way. We're comin... We're comin... We're comin
  5. cant wait to see it on the internet by someone claiming to have shot him. Hopefully it makes it to four years old.
  6. Sucks. Lesson learned I guess. Too bad that kind of stuff happens.
  7. That seems like a more than resonable rule. A few of our hunting group has access to our neighbors land (1800 acres). Two years ago he implemented a bigger than 150" rule. No one has seen one yet and they are all extremely frustrated. Point is, if its a family event, keep the rules reasonable and everyone benefits.
  8. Seems like the people that have cedars don't necessarily want them and the rest of us want them and cant get em to grow.
  9. I would take a 50 yard shot if I ranged it. I have no field edges, I hunt in the woods, so my max shot is maybe 35 yards.
  10. I once shot an eight pointer by myself... gutted it by myself...tagged it by myself... yup it seems i am a rare breed. Haha
  11. Poachers suck! Give them a huge fine so WI can hire some competent deer managers. Ha Ha
  12. I wouldn't trade one day in the woods for a day on the water, but to each their own.
  13. on face value i would go with sims walker
  14. If you could only have it breed with the new rack
  15. The colder it gets the more the deer move. However, once the temp falls below 0, movement drops off significantly. Feeding patterns also move more towards the warmest parts of the day when the temp is below zero.
  16. I think I would probably shoot that... with my bow anyway
  17. two for each ambush spot so you can play the wind when it blows in different directions... if you got the trees