too_pointer

Administrators
  • Posts

    6699
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by too_pointer

  1. He looks like a huge 8 pointer, pretty impressive . Good hunting :gun2: too_
  2. Haven't had one, but I quit putting hard rods down the muzzle end to the bore. I just don't want to take a chance on messing up the rifling. I use a bore snake, and a cleaning tool I bought on line, can't remember the name of it, but it resembles the plastic line on a weed eater. One end is sharpened to a point, and you slide down a patch to the other end, then put it through your barrel from the back to the muzzle, works great . It's cheap, I'll try to find out where I got it. too_
  3. Exciting vid, thanks :gun2:Do you guys eat the hogs, or donate them ? too_
  4. Same here in Michigan. Most of my own trees put out the darker, smaller brown acorns. They aren't the favorite type for the critters, but in the woods, a tremendous crop of the much bigger, lighter colored ones that the deer love. It will make hunting much harder with all the food. :wacko: too_
  5. Hello. After shooting that many shots in a row, you should have noticed it getting harder and harder to push the ramrod down. that could of been an issue with not seating your bullet correctly. Pellets are probably the cleanest powder form you can use, so thats good. Happy hunting this year, get a big one :gun1: too_
  6. Thats a beauty, CONGRATS :gun1: too_
  7. Good luck to your daughter. Now can she shoot does or bucks, or just one ? too_
  8. I have a hunting buddy that has used a .243 for quite a few years. As far as I know, he has never lost a deer due to that gun. As was said, very important to make a clean, killing shot, as bone hits could stop the bullets in its tracks. I would stay with the .243 for him right now. too_
  9. That was fun to follow you through your hunt, thanks. :gunsmilie: You will get a big boy soon, I just know it. LOL too_
  10. You are one lucky dad, CONGRATS, their beautiful. :clap: too_
  11. I appreciate the good ideas with blinds. I want to see the use of the ground blinds Thanks all :yes: too_ , I am not able to use tree stands anymore. Thanks much for your ideas that can help me !! :gun_bandana: too_
  12. I spent 2+ years in South Dakota, and the hunting was awesome, for whitetails and mule deer. I want to go back as soon as I can. :2guns: I wish everyone a great hunt. too_
  13. too_pointer

    home

    As you know Steve, Alaska is something that is a tremendous . I don't think anything can compare. I can't wait to see pics and stories from the hunters. I wish so much that your Alaska hunts are better than when I went. Kinda a bummer going to Alaska for bear, and nobody got a shot, but I will never forget what we went through, and the beauty it is. :clap: too_
  14. I thought of sharing this. I find it interesting. too_
  15. I hope everything works out for you the best it can. too_
  16. What ever slug gun you have, a rifled barrel is a much for accuracy ( unless shooting less than 50 yards, and know where it puts it on target ). If you do any research, scopes for shotguns, and muzzleloaders are available . The recoil, as you must know, can be brutal from shotgun slugs. I would buy a scope that is advertised for shotguns. I could easily put 1" holes from 100 yards with my 11-87. I actually found after many trials, that the Winchester slugs were my most accurate. I wish you the best on your quest and hunting. :gun_bandana: too_
  17. It sure looks good for a great deer kill ! I wish you the best, and don't forget pics of that bruiser LOL. :gun1: too_
  18. Please tell me it's not so :saber: too_
  19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRIEND. :happybday: Hope its a great one. too_
  20. O.K., that all makes sense. I think if I need to shim, I will shim the rear end of the back base. thanks all. too_
  21. Shoobee, Thanks for spending the time in your answer, I appreciate it. I still need to know about shimming the scope, as I don't have any adjustments left to raise my point of impact. Your explanation was great. I would prefer to make my own shims if I can. From what I know, I would need to shim up the back of scope base to raise my point of aim. Also, I have never lapped any scope rings, and wonder if that is popular ? Thank you all. :clap: too_
  22. Heres whats up. I went to sight in my new .35 Rem Marlin 336, with a new Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x 40. I started out about 40 yards, and I found out it was hitting very low, and missing the cardboard. I moved closer, around 25 yards. I was able to at least hit the bottom of cardboard now. I made a small adjustment to the right, and cranked the scope to hit higher. I basically walked my holes right up the target till I touched bullet holes in the bulls. I shot the whole box at this point and need to get more shells to move a greater distance. Here's my problem, I used all the adjustment to go higher, bottomed out. I have never ran across this before. I have decent base and rings. I used my removable Loctite for all the screws, which I always do. Has anyone in here ever shimmed your scope, and if you did, did you shim the base or rings ? Did you buy the shim kit, or was able to make your own shims ? Since I'm here, anybody lap your scope rings ? I hope this all makes senses. :camera: thanks ahead of time. too_
  23. That's ridiculous, so I like it. :yes: Thanks for sharing it. too_
  24. Make sure you understand where to hit them to get the vitals. They have a hard "sheath" around the shoulders and back a tad. If you are going to bow hunt them, you will need to avoid that area as it is very tough and hard to penetrate. Just look up hogs in the Internet, and see a see through pic of a hogs body. It's not near as critical if you are using a gun, but don't take a pee-shooter after them, they are one tough animal to bring down sometimes. Good luck to you and have fun. :gun2: too_